Assembling a small forest...

Yesterday and Monday's Week Of Miniatures project. Finished quilt is 11-1/2 by 7-1/2 inches and is suitable for Miniature Quilt categories in competitions... Quilted in very fine matchstick lines with an Aurifil variegated 60 weight thread...



Detail of the quilting.

This little tree piece is all made from an old pack of Oakshott Fabrics Autumn (the original 21 colours, but the new selection is pretty nice too) and I started with a pack of 5-inch charm squares which have been lurking for a while

I cut the pieces like this, used the biggest piece as the background for each tree and the strips for the branches, the wider strip as the trunk. Tutorial HERE but I do NOT recommend you start this small...

 

 


 I arranged the trees on my little design board, then took a photo in black-and-white to assess the shading. Note the second tree from the left in the second row up - it's much lighter than the others, so I moved it up.  Your phone camera will do this for you, it's really useful



Trimming each pair to make straight edges, I sewed them together...

I arranged the pieces into slightly random blocks, as this makes for a better result...

 Only trim when you are ready to sew together. Two straight lines sewn together will always lie flat, of course. Press every time!

And sew on...All assembled. Quilt before trimming...






 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.